Education Pathways for International Students


Image of a student reading with other books and technology around them

Students who wish to study in the United States may first need to attend a pathway program to help them meet the entry requirements to get into their desired program. This may include partaking in intensive english programs, bridging courses, and undergraduate and graduate pathway programs.

Intensive English Program (IEP)

IEP programs prepare international students of all levels of english. This program acts as a pathway to undergraduate conditional admission for students who want to attend an American institution. In some cases, students have the opportunity to get admissions without a TOEFL or IELTS score if an IEP is successfully completed.

Bridging Courses

Bridging courses are short courses that range from a few weeks to a few months in duration. These courses help students meet the subject-specific prerequisites and requirements for admission. Bridging courses are offered in a variety of subjects.

Other Pathways

Pathway programs help international students build their knowledge and qualifications required to apply for a bachelor or master program in the US. These programs are typically one year in length. By taking a pathways course, students are able to build the necessary language skills, narrow down a major, increase their chances of admission, and provide them with additional time to adjust to life in the US.

 Was this article helpful?